Interview with Pete Abraham
I was able to get Pete Abraham of the Weschester Journal News to interview with me.
1. How have the players reacted to all the books written about the team this year – Torre’ book and Selena Roberts’. Did you sense more tension? Also, do you feel that that had something to do with the slow start?
Tension? They have the best record in baseball and terrific chemistry. Why would a book by somebody who managed them in 2007 cause tension in 2009? The slow start was due to poor pitching and A-Rod being on the DL. Not any books.
2. Who is your favorite player to cover on the Yankees? Why?
Nobody in particular on this team, they’re a pretty good bunch. It’s a great honor to cover Mariano Rivera.
3. Do you feel that Chien-Ming Wang will ever return to his prime form?
Unfortunately, probably not. That foot injury altered his mechanics and led to a serious shoulder injury.
4. Some beat writers say that they want Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes should be the Yankees future closer, while you say that they should be starters. Why?
I think this issue has been beaten to death. Joba is obviously a starter and the Yankees have said Hughes will start as well.
5. What is your favorite and least favorite stadiums to visit?
I like Safeco Field. I dislike Oakland.
6. Question for kids out there that may want to be a beat writer when they grow up. What is it like? The traveling, asking questions, press conferences, getting to be near players?
That is a pretty involved question. It’s a very enjoyable job but there is a lot of hard work and a lot of hours involved. I’m not sure what you mean by getting to be near players. They’re just people who play baseball, it’s not a big deal.
7. Jim Bouton, a former Yankee, wrote a book revealing private information about his teammates and friends. Selena Roberts wrote a book about one player, Alex Rodriguez. Do you feel players have to be more careful about trust and being a close team? Has the loss of privacy in any way cause a lack of chemistry?
I’ve never heard any of the players talk about books and it doesn’t impact team chemistry in the slightest.
8. The Yankees asked the Pirates to help pay for Eric Hinske’s salary this year…..are they really having money issues or are there other reasons?
I don’t think they’re having money issues. But if the other team will pay some salary, they might as well try and get it.
9. When Joe Torre rejected the Yankees offer you called it “the most shocking thing in a long time.” What since has surprised you the most? Why?
In terms of what has surprised me since, it was A-Rod being on steroids. I had foolishly believed his denials.
10. Any funny or interesting stories you have from your time as a Yankee beat writer?
There are too many to mention. Plenty of interesting and funny things happen.
Do you like the new Yankee Stadium as much as the old one?
Best 1-2 Combination in baseball?
Pitching or hitting? Pitching I’d say it’s Lincecum and Cain. Hitting I’d say Mauer and Morneau.
World Series predictions?
As I wrote in the beginning of the season, I think the Yankees will win it.
Date of Austin Jacksons MLB Debut?
No idea. Depends what they do in the offseason.
Will Joe Torre get his number retired? Will he make up with the Yankees?
I would hope so on both accounts.